The fire broke out in Central Parade in a three-storey building made up of a shop with homes above.

A man, woman and four children were all taken to hospital and a cat died at the scene.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the failure of lithium batteries on a converted e-bike.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “E-bikes and e-scooters can be a fun and sustainable way of getting around London.

But the stark reality is that some of these vehicles are proving to be incredibly dangerous if they are not used safely.

Converting pedal bikes into e-bikes using DIY kits bought online can be very dangerous.

Get a professional or competent person to carry out the conversion and make sure to buy a battery from a reputable seller and not second-hand.