Detectives are continuing to investigate a collision at a school off Wimbledon Common.

Police were called at 9.54 am yesterday to reports that a car had crashed through a fence and collided with a building at The Study Prep School in Camp Road.

A total of 35 police vehicles were deployed to the scene and officers worked with paramedics to give first aid to a number of people who had been injured.

Despite the efforts of the emergency services, an eight-year-old girl died at the scene.

Her parents are being supported by family liaison officers.

A second eight-year-old girl was taken to hospital where she remains in a life-threatening condition. Her family have been informed and are also being supported.

A woman, in her 40s, also remains in hospital in a critical condition.

A number of other people, including a seven-month-old girl, were also taken to hospital and their conditions have been assessed as not life-threatening.

We understand the school-age children were pupils at the school. The injured adults were parents/carers of the children and not staff members.

The driver of the car, a 46-year-old woman from Wimbledon, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

She was taken to hospital and her condition was assessed as not life-threatening.

She has been bailed pending further enquiries to a date in late July.

Detectives from the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit are leading the investigation and their enquiries are ongoing. They are expected to remain at the scene throughout the day.

The investigation remains in its early stages and officers are keeping an open mind whilst following up all lines of enquiry. They are asking that people do not speculate about the circumstances while this work is ongoing.

Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland, local policing commander for south-west London, said: “It is difficult to imagine the pain and upset the families of those involved are going through and we will do all we can to support them as our investigation continues.

“I know the impact of this tragic incident is also being felt in the wider community and we are working with our partners to ensure the appropriate support is in place.

“This was the largest local policing deployment in south-west London since 2017 and our officers, along with members of the other emergency services, were met with a challenging and traumatic scene.

“I would like to praise them for doing all they could to help those injured. I have no doubt this incident would have also had a significant impact on them, and we will ensure their welfare is looked after.

“I understand many people will want answers about how this happened and there is a team of detectives working to establish the circumstances. I would ask the community to avoid speculating on a possible cause whilst these enquiries are carried out.”

Officers have collected CCTV from nearby buildings and spoken with a number of witnesses. The car was removed from the scene last night and has been taken away for further examination.

Any witnesses, who have not yet spoken to police, are asked to call 101 quoting CAD 2200/06Jul.