The remains were discovered after emergency services were called to the beauty spot last Wednesday evening.
A postmortem has been carried out, and police say the bones belonged to a woman aged between 25 and 45.
They said it was not clear how long the remains had been there and officers were still working to identify the woman.
Detective Chief Inspector Wayne Jolley, who is leading the investigation, said: “We have launched a murder investigation following the discovery of these remains and are working to establish the full circumstances of what happened while keeping an open mind.
“I would urge anyone who has information that may assist us in identifying the victim and understanding the circumstances of her death to come forward and speak to us.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 and quote CAD 6452/12AUG or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.



